Friday, September 17, 2010

Weekend in Lake Charles, LA

Which Chamberlin is which? Answer at the end. FYI, you can click on any picture to see it larger...


Who is this 2-month-old? (MUCH harder, at least I think)












The birthday girl, Addison
 On Friday, we loaded up and headed to Lake Charles, LA for our annual visit with my friend Melanie and her daughter Addison. Melanie is just about my oldest friend (Umm, sorry, that didn't come out right. She's not that old.). We met as freshmen at LSU, went through rush together, worked together, double-dated, roomed together, and played a LOT of spades. Every year Melanie throws a huge party for Addison's birthday that my kids can't wait for. Melanie has a terrific house right on the Calcasieu River with lots of fun stuff to do. For myself, I'm just happy to visit with Melanie and see how big Addison has gotten (Addison just turned 5, so she's Rachel's age.). Her friend Chrisso who flies down from Maine to visit and help with the party is just about the nicest guy you'll ever meet as well. The kids love the big jumpy slide thing Melanie rents along with the dunking tank, the snow cone machine, spin art, popcorn machine, paddle boats, caricature artist, ponies, clown, juggler, ect. (Not all those were there each year.) This year we also spent a lot of time swimming in the river. It's been a long time since I've been swimming in such dark, muddy water. Chris and I took turns shoving each other to touch the bottom, and it gets completely pitch dark before you're down all the way. How did I forget since I was a kid how creepy that really is (or how cold)? The only downside for the kids was that we wouldn't let them swim much without life vests. I mean seriously - when they put their heads under, they're GONE. I don't know how my parents let me and my siblings swim in water like that all the time, because it's scary! Anyway, we had a great time. Melanie had less of a great time after breaking her foot and watching it swell up and turn purple and black and other interesting colors. So Melanie spent much of the weekend hobbling and dealing with all the kids who dropped stuff on her foot or simply stepped on it (it was like the kids had radar, aimed for the swelling). Ummm, ahem, and I might've kicked that foot pretty hard at one point too. Melanie, I forgive you for what you said and I know you didn't mean any of it! :-) Thanks for putting us up and putting up with us! For more pictures, check out my album on facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=90371&id=1268580531&l=08fab3872f











































Now while we were partying on Saturday, Daniel and Chris left us at Melanie's and drove to Baton Rouge for them to spend the night with Daniel's cub scout troop on the USS Kidd. This year, as opposed to a previous trip, they actually got a good night's sleep and had a great time. Like you can't tell from the pictures. Speaking of pictures, you can find more at:




Answer: Katherine

1 comment:

Stuart and Kimber said...

I got it right, but I had to look at the hairline. (And I was pretty sure that Caroline didn't wear any onesies like that. :) )

Great pics!!!