Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Mommy, help me!

We were in the children's section of the Flowood library this afternoon, at the end of a LONG afternoon. Tuesdays are my busy days. So I'm a little frazzled (I know, you're shocked. Me, frazzled?!), and grumpy and my kids are having trouble remembering the QUIET part of library behavior. When I leave the stacks to walk over to Rachel and Caroline to remind them they're making too much noise, Caroline decides she has to go pee. Rachel pipes up that she does, too. No problem, nothing unusual. The Flowood library has a little one-toilet bathroom right there in the kids section. So I walk Rachel and Caroline to it, turn the light on, remind them to be quiet, and close the door. (You wouldn't think I'd have to remind them to be quiet in a bathroom, right? Ha! They think bathrooms are soundproof. We sent the girls to the bathroom in a restaurant once where they got into a screaming fight the entire restaurant could hear. Now THAT'S embarassment!)
So I go back to searching for good children's biographies when I hear voices from the bathroom. Loud, but I grit my teeth and let it go. It gets louder, then the first scream erupts. I mean, come on, how often do YOU hear screaming from a public bathroom. Now, I knew there was no one else in there, what could there be to scream about? Honestly, I figured they had to be fighting. Jaw set, eyebrows drawn together in an expression my other kids would've known to fear, I started walking to the bathroom. Then came a whole series of screams, punctuated by a terrified, "Mommy! Help me! Mommy! Help me!" I ran. It wasn't far, but in my mind, I'm picturing the only things I can imagine causing this level of panic - a foot stuck in the toilet drain while it was flushing (Well, that's all I could picture that could scare her so! I'm not saying I thought it likely, but still, there was panic.) I threw open the door and there was Caroline standing in the middle of the floor, screaming and terrified. Rachel was just standing there watching her, kind of horrified. Caroline had pulled down her leotard, ballet skirt, tights, and underwear and then couldn't move to get on the potty, so she accidentally peed in the middle of the floor. That's it. No snake in the drain, nothing eating her. Bear in mind, it was like her second accident since potty training, so it was surprising to her, but really? Was "Mommy! Help me!" really called for? And exactly how could I have helped? Oh, I was definitely needed, after the fact. Remember that she was wearing a leotard and had already pulled everything down, so it ALL got completely soaked. Too bad, I had to pull the sopping leotard back on her.Thank goodness I had my library book bag or I would've had to walk out of there holding the rest of her dripping wet clothes in my hand! I was also very grateful for her Crocs, as well...

2 comments:

cambersue said...

Ugh I hate those days...and it had to be on a rough day to begin with. Good thing it was just pee;)

Stuart and Kimber said...

That is hilarious. Although I'm sure the librarians didn't quite think so!