Saturday, April 6, 2013

Sparkly Rocks–the MS Gem and Mineral Show 2013

105-0566_imgWhich is Which? Who is this itty-bitty Chamberlin?

(Answer at end of post)

 

 

 

 

The last weekend in February is one we look forward to every year. This year the kids all had their money saved up to spend on some pretty rocks and baubles, and I was at least prepared by previous experience for the way the house would fill with sharp, but pretty, foot-hazards. If you’ve never stepped barefooted on a random piece of broken geode, yay for you, but I assure you they rival legos for sheer pain.

IMG_1377I didn’t get many pictures, probably because I forgot my camera, but I managed a few with my ipod. I also mostly got pictures of Rachel and Caroline because the others all split up and took off (with permission) just inside the door. Daniel got to go by himself, and Katherine, Elizabeth, and her friend Kate went off together, and Chris and I kept Rachel and Caroline with us. At least, for the first hour. After that, they found so many things they wanted to show us, or one of us, that we got IMG_1379pulled all over the place, shuffling kids and amazingly heavy little bags of things (because yes, they’re rocks!). At least I remembered to bring my giant purse that can hold a ton, even if my shoulder didn’t much appreciate it. Here Rachel and Caroline are buying geodes and getting them cracked open. ------->

So many, many rocks to pick from!IMG_1380

 

The children’s area is always a favorite. They get to make a “gem tree” from wire and little gems.IMG_1385

 

 

IMG_1386

 

 

 

IMG_1390

 

 

 

Below Rachel is picking out her prize for the beanbag-toss game:

IMG_1392

 

IMG_1396

 

 

 

 

 

 

And Caroline is trying for her prize (those guys were so nice – they let the girls try several times until they won the prize they wanted!):IMG_1397

IMG_1399

 

 

 

 

 

Katherine’s hair was worthy of an exhibit in and of itself! She put it up in a topknot and picked a little bouquet of wildflowers to adorn it. It’s gotten so thick and long that it’s almost too heavy for her to put up like this! Yeah, I know - poor girl, right?

IMG_1400

IMG_1402

 

 

 

 

 

 

Answer: Katherine (I think that was a hard one.)

1 comment:

Stuart and Kimber said...

I got that one wrong. I said Daniel. Rats!