Friday, November 19, 2010

Grandma's 104th

Yeah, yeah, OK. This post is half-a-month old.
The last weekend in October was one of those weekends when everything happens at once.
First the trip to Ferriday: My dad, his mother, and I all share a birthday (Oct 29 - also her parents' wedding anniversary). My mid-thirties birthday (35) was not particularly remarkable, but Grandma's 104th was really something. She looked great, although she really doesn't know who the people around her are. She's always been so polite and kind and that hasn't changed a bit, but she just doesn't even recognize her children (both of whom were there). Every year we say this will be Grandma's last birthday, yet October keeps rolling around and there it is. I think we decided this was the 9th year in a row we've held a pizza party with ice cream cake for her. And boy, she sure does love that ice cream cake! On a parental level, I realized the kids are not often around someone so old (for that matter, none of us are!) and they were a little uncomfortable. She doesn't smile at them or talk much, so they weren't sure how to talk to her. I watched Daniel go from just staring at her to patting her hand and smiling at her as he told her goodbye. I'm proud of him because I saw the empathy and kindness. Gives me hope he'll "turn out" alright. :-)

Mostly it was just nice to see family (and take some nice pictures) and catch up with my dad's sister, Aunt Mariette!
Four generations. Grandma was having a hard time waiting
to eat the cake!



No, my sister and I don't look a THING alike. How could
you think that?


Aunt Mariette and Grandma



I like this picture. Elizabeth is trying to decide what to make
of Grandma.


My kids were just a little excited to see Aunt Lori. Count 'em:
four little-kid heads there




No comments: